"Keep on the sunny side of life."

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Self Control? What's that?


The number one place on earth to really test your self control can be found just a couple of miles from my house. WalMart. You all know what I'm talking about. Most of the time, I go in with a list...this is what I need. This, and nothing more. I'm on a mission. I have to dodge several strategically placed obstacles along the way, tempting me to purchase a book here, a delicious holiday-decorated sugar cookie there, but most of the time my mission is successful. I make it out with what's on my list on not much more.

There are those times, however, where my will is not strong enough to resist the temptation. Like today, for instance. I went in with a list consisting of several run-of-the mill items. Milk, body wash, laundry detergent, paper towels, cereal, green beans, and a little Halloween candy for Tuesday. Simple, right? Not a chance.

I get to WalMart and park, and right away my vision is assaulted with the first challenge. Pumpkins. They've been there for weeks, and I have been strong for weeks! Today, though...Halloween candy on the brain...I think, "I need to do a little decorating for fall. I need a pumpkin!" So, I get one, choosing from the sad few that are left behind. Then, walking into WalMart, I am automatically tested again! "I can't just put a plain pumpkin on my front porch...I need flowers to go with it!" So, I get flowers. "Okay," I think. "Now to my list." I go to my list, and get everything on it, plus a few other small things. Then, my real challenge comes. Halloween candy. It is on the list, yes, but now how much I am to get. That is up to me. Dangerous. I walk down the aisle filled with bright orange, green, and black bags stuffed with candy of all kinds. I see a bag, Reese's...yes! I need those! Then I see M&Ms. It's just not Halloween without M&Ms! Bubble gum! That was my favorite thing to get when I used to trick-or-treat! On and on it went...a pitiful display of my lack of self-control. I ended up spending way too much money and getting WAAAAY too much candy. You think I would've learned from last year, when we had NOT ONE trick-or-treater and we had candy left for months. Nope. I got twice as much as last year! I'm so weak!


Sooo...if you and your family go trick-or-treating Tuesday night, be sure to stop by the James's. There's a good chance you AND your child will get an enormous handful of candy that will put other houses candy-giving to shame. Your children will love me. You will probably hate me. If you need directions, just ask!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

You and Clayton are on the same wave length this week! He's bought like 6 bags of Halloween candy.. and we won't be home to give any out so this was bought FOR US! Is he insane? lol So, what's another few handfuls from you guys, right? We'll gladly take it! See ya Tuesday night!! I can't wait! :)

7:33 PM

 
Blogger Sugar-n-Spice said...

we'll pop by to say "boo"!....or maybe "smell my feet"...not right yet, is it?...i'll bet my kids know what to say to get that handful of candy! :)

2:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny! And I am exactly the same way! It is very hard for me to go into Walmart without getting "extras". Oh, and we bought candy too, but not too much because Shaun had a fit about how much a bag of candy costs nowadays!

2:10 PM

 
Blogger Rosie said...

You know, the weather is cool enough now that you could just ship the leftover candy to AL...j/k. We are gonna buy halloween candy too, because I think we might actually have a trick-or-treater or two this year! People have told me that alot of kids from town come out to Lakeshore Drive to Trick-or-Treat, so I am very excited! We are going to a halloween carnival at the school tonight, so I am really really excited! Miss you and Love you and can't wait for 3 1/2 weeks to see yall!

10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just make sure not to bring the leftover candy with you here on Wednesday! I most definitely do not need it...and I'm the one who will end up eating it if it's here. The lack of self control thing must run in the family. I'll probably be trying to pawn off our leftovers on you...plus, who knows how much the little man is going to end up getting. Miss you, and can't wait to see you on Wednesday.

9:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home